Monday, May 17, 2010

Why I Am Okay Calling Myself a Queen... Part 1

Calling myself QueenB is bold. Borderline obnoxious. I’ll definitely concede that point. Though no one has made that point to my face, I’m sure it’s going through some of your minds… mostly because it would go through my mind for many people.

I’ve called myself a princess, a diva, even a bitch. But this is the first time I’ve ever referred to myself as a queen. The nickname came about when I bought my new car. Mercedes has a great program where they have someone walk you through every feature on your vehicle and set up all your options with you before you leave the lot. They have the most adorable gal that does this for about an hour. It’s awesome. One of the features they help you set up is your hands free cell phone. During this process she asked me what I wanted to name my phone. Name my phone? I had never done that before. With the look of confusion and omg-what-do-I-name-my-phone running across my face she graciously stepped in and said, “Something like Queen Bee”. It felt perfect sitting in my brand new Sooner red Mercedes, so that is what we named my phone. I modified Queen Bee to QueenB and now every time I get in my car it says “Connected to QueenB”. So, the name has been top of mind every day. But in addition to that, I have other reasons why I am comfortable with the title. And I’ll go through those one by one in a 3 part series.

Reason Number 1: I am the queen in my own world.



I do what I can to make sure I am well taken care of- I get physical maintenance done on a regular basis, I work out, I plan my meals and eat well, I take time to be by myself, I take time to be with my friends, I read, I talk to my mom almost every day, I play with my dogs, I take time to be with my husband, I keep my house neat and clean, I get enough sleep. It takes time and work, but it keeps me happy and healthy and feeling good.

I treat myself- when I want dessert, I eat it, I only use soap and lotion that smells good, I order the creamy pasta when I want to, and I shop on a regular basis. I try not to go overboard, but I work hard and deserve it. Why would I let anyone tell me I didn’t?

I hope you are the queen in your own world. And if you aren’t, then why not? Try putting your needs and wants first. Not at the expense of your other responsibilities, but to complement them. I bet you’ll find you are happier and have more energy to do the things that the people around you need you for. Today, I deem you all Queens & Kings (or whatever title you wish to own) in your own worlds.

Check back Wednesday for Part 2 in the series...

...QueenB Says

4 comments:

  1. I think your summary of why we should all be named "Queen" is wonderful. We should all do what is necessary to keep us happy! I have learned as a mommy that if I'm not happy, then the rest of my family isn't either. No one should feel guilty for doing the things they enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, we all should be Queens & Kings of our own world. It is our right. If you're not, then what are you doing? Who are you giving your time to in a way that is not feeding your soul? We all need to take care of ourselves to feel our best!

    You go Queen B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like part 1 of a 3 part series. If you would like to add a 4th part I can help you since I just wikipedia Queen Bees. We can talk about things like:

    "Although the name might imply it, a queen does not directly control the hive. Her sole function is to serve as the reproducer." Hey-ooohhhh

    Or

    "She is continuously surrounded by worker bees who meet her every need, giving her food and disposing of her waste." I can talk to Jay if you want.

    Let me know. I am here to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! You are good inspirations for me too!

    And NS- I'll check your wikipedia info and highlight the parts I like. We'll go from there...

    ReplyDelete