Monday, June 7, 2010

My Strengths & Why You Care

I am a "maximizer", an "activator", an "individualizer", an "arranger", and a "learner". These are terms I got from a StrengthFinder assessment a did a few years ago. I, like my good friend, Emma-nation, love labels. When I took this assessment I literally said out loud, "I have the BEST strengths there are to have"... that is my maximizer speaking. But, what does that mean?
  • "People strong in the Maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb."
  • "People strong in the Activator theme can make things happen by turning thoughts into action. They are often impatient."
  • "People strong in the Individualization theme are intrigued with the unique qualities of each person. They have a gift for figuring out how people who are different can work together productively."
  • "People strong in the Arranger theme can organize, but they also have a flexibility that complements this ability. They like to figure out how all of the pieces and resources can be arranged for maximum productivity."
  • "People strong in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them."
Cool, now what should this tell you about me? I like awesome things, right now, in an organized manner with people that are unique and inspirational.

Here's how this makes me valuable to you:

I see your best. I like individualism and uniqueness. In fact, those things about you that are quirky, are my favorite parts of you. And I see what you can do with those qualities that no one else can do. I'm good at that.

I can turn negative into positive. Example: my activator label comes with a warning, "They are often impatient". Um, okay, I want it now. There is nothing wrong with that, that is an awesome way to go through life. I will also convince you that your perceived shortcomings are actually proving your strength and that your reactions are justified. I'm good at that.

I will get it done. My friend Matt is so creative in the kitchen. He has the perfect idea for whatever the gathering, he finds the best recipes and ingredients, and he knows how to put it together. I step in to help behind the scenes by keeping him on schedule, planning the timing of a meal, taking care of boring details like table setting and chopping, and I keep the area neat and clean throughout his process. I will back you up and make you shine and let you take the credit. I'm good at that.

I will make our time together valuable.  I want good food, good wine, and good conversation. I want to learn from you, so I ask a lot of questions about what you know. I share my opinions freely and ask you to do the same. We will both walk away with an experience, even if it's just a good meal. I am good at that.

What are your strengths?

...QueenB Says

3 comments:

  1. Huh, that's weird. My labels just said "womanizer womanizer womanizer baby".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last one is particularly true- the time I spend with you is always great and never plagued by 'well what should we do?'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just did my Meyers-Briggs (yes, I'm addicted to labels now too!) Came up with INTJ, which basically means I'm an introverted intuitive who thinks a lot and then judges things. I come up with ideas, but don't communicate them well and try to implement them to fix problems, which drives Gary crazy! Yep, right on.

    ReplyDelete